Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The "Cathedral" and the Bazaar

So, most recently I've been looking at Eric Steven Raymond's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar." As I shared in class on Monday, I applied Raymond's ideas about open source software development to literary inquiry. To modify Raymond's words, scholarly works should not "be built like cathedrals, carefully crafted by individual wizards or small bands of mages working in splendid isolation, with no [draft] to be released before its time." Instead, scholars should "release early and often, delegate everything you can, be open to the point of promiscuity," their research and writing process resembling "a great babbling bazaar of differing agendas and approaches." Now I am trying to connect these ideas to Raymond Carver's story "Cathedral." The fact that the story and the article share a title begs to be explored further.
Check out my side column for links to a summary of the story "Cathedral," the article "The Cathedral and the Bazaar," and the google doc I made applying "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" to literary inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment